If you thought the Ms Pacman cocktail arcade game was in the World Video Game Hall of Fame, you would be wrong. It has been on the shortlist for entry -- it was on the shortlist both this year and last year. It hasn't made the cut though.
In fact, no 1980s arcade games combined the Hall of Fame this past year. Nevertheless, the judges did select a timeless 1990s arcade game. This was in addition to console gamesconsole, a mid-70s text-based adventure game, and a game that has been packed free from the Microsoft Windows operating platform.
Vintage 1980s (and Pre-1980s) Arcade Games around the Shortlist but What Makes the Cut
The World Video Game Hall of Fame is handled by The Strong's National Museum of Play.
These are a Few of the great 1980s arcade games which got cut in the Last hurdle this season:
• Ms Pac-Man -- a finalist for two Decades now so, hopefully, it will Find the recognition it deserves in future decades
• Centipede -- the 1981 award winning classic from Atari that provided gameplay similar to Space Invaders but with insects Rather than spaceships
• Asteroids -- the brilliant multidirectional shooter published by Atari in 1979 that was one of the very first arcade games to achieve widespread popularity
The 2019 Inductees
What about the video games that did get inducted into the World Video Game Hall of Fame this past year?
• Mortal Kombat -- that is the only arcade game to get into the World Video Game Hall of Fame in 2019. Through time, various versions and titles of this game have been published on a range of different platforms. The first four incarnations, but beginning in 1992, indoor playground set
were arcade only.
• Microsoft Solitaire -- packed in the Windows operating system, it has been automatically installed on countless computers around the world. Since 1990, it has helped office employees pretend to be busy and is currently played 35 billion times a year.
• Super Mario Kart -- the fun and still popular racing
game which was first published in 1992. It features characters from the Mario Bros video game franchise and continues to be published on multiple consoles and platforms.
• Colossal Cave Adventure -- an obscure (compared to the other big video game names mentioned in this article) text-based adventure game published in 1976. To play it, you compose commands and there are no graphics. The aim is to locate treasures and solve puzzles.
Hopefully, Ms Pac-Man gets her chance next year. You do not have to wait till then to play it however, especially if you've got your own arcade machine. Check out our range now.